Tips for Writing a Literature Review in ACM Format
How Do You Write a Literature Review in the ACM Format?
Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) literature reviews cover computing literature to provide researchers, students, practitioners and teachers are resources with a roadmap about practical and scholarly information about computing. These reviews are published yearly and they come from ACM conferences. If you need help with literature review check out the following for tips in literature review writing.
General Requirements for ACM Format
ACM or Association for Computing Machinery is the biggest scientific and educational forum to provide advanced computing knowledge both in print and digital display format. Anybody, who wants to support its computing article with cutting-edge publications and conference proceedings about ACM, can take help from ACM’s premier Digital Library. However, to submit the research articles for publications in ACM journal, it is mandatory to fulfill the following mentioned general requirements of ACM authoring template.
- The first requirement for ACM format is making the ACM publication, a part of ACM digital library and submitting the article in the official 2017 ACM Master Article template. The ACM Master Article template 2017 has been adopted by eight different ACM journals and Proceedings. According to master template following formats have been recognized for submission of articles in ACM digital library:
|LaTeX (Version 1.53)
Word (Windows version)
|Word (Mac 2011 – Toolbar support)
Word (Mac 2016 – Ribbon support)
- According to ACM paper format requirements, the articles should be edited according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary and Chicago Manual of Style.
- This new ACM template offers a single LATEX package with optional calls and substitutes all former independent files and packages. The package uses those fonts and free TEX packages that are incorporated in popular TEX distributions such as MiKTeX and TEXLive. Margin modifications are not allowed in new ACM template and fonts that are used in the template cannot be replaced.
- Following updated versions of ACM templates are included in the new LaTeX package:
|For ACM Journals:||ACM, TOG, ACM Small and ACM Large|
|For ACM Proceedings:||ACM Standard, SIGPLAN, SIGCHI abstracts, and SIGCHI|
Our academic writers are able to write a literature review in ACM standard format, two columns to one column ACM format, LaTex ACM format, and many others. Our help is available 24/7!
Tips for ACM Paper Format
- Define your topic and know your audience. Your topic should be interesting and that there should be enough materials in writing it. You should also pick a well-defined issue to make the review useful. Then, choose an audience who will be interested in the review.
- Start searching for literature and downloading relevant papers. Monitor your search item, keep a list of paper and define irrelevant papers. Seek for previous reviews. While they may not be totally related, there must be a relevant angle with your review.
- You should take notes while reading. Jot down ideas on how to organize and what to write in your literature review. It will be useful if you have an ACM keyword list.
- Select the kind of review to write. In this stage, you can decide whether to write a mini or a full review. A mini review can simplify the issue and leave other relevant material, while a full review is longer and it can cover the issue in detail.
- Stay focused in the review. No matter you select a mini or full review, keep on the topic. But while you have to keep the review focused, you should also balance your review and make it relevant to a wide audience.
- Stay consistent and critical. Discuss your topic critically to make your review successful. Remember, the literature review isn’t just a summary of the study, but it identifies research gaps. When it comes to consistency, it is about the style and tone, such as the choice of past tense versus present tense.
- Get a logical structure for it based on your objectives or reasons for writing. Typically, it has an introduction and take-home messages and recapitulation of the main ideas. You can use diagrams in helping readers with mind mapping, such as a logical order and link to the different sections of the paper. You should carefully select figures and diagrams to make them work.
- Ask for feedback to spot inaccuracies and ambiguities. You can also re-read your draft to ensure you’re on the right track and can make corrections before submitting it. Feedback is also important to identify where the general public stands in the current understanding of the computing issue.
- Be objective when including your relevant research. Make sure that you’re producing a methodical and organized review that gives service to your audience.
- Do not forget about older studies. Even if you have to be updated.
ACM Reference Format Sample
The reference section is where to highlight the sources of your literature review
- For parenthetical citations, they enclose the last name of the first author and the year the study was published.
- For two authors, both of the names are included and the year the study was published.
- For over two authors, they use only the last name of the first author and it is followed by “et al.”
- For sequential in-text citations, they should be enclosed in square brackets and they are separated by semi-colons.
- If the citation is part of the sentence, the author’s name is not inside brackets, but only the year.
- If an author has at least one study published, the citation will be [Smith 2010a] and [Smith 2010b].
To make citation in ACM easier, you can use the BibTeX or .bib file with the correct .bst document for reference so you will need minimum editing. For more examples, you can check out ACM.org.
How We Can Help You with Proper ACM Paper Format?
It is obvious that writing an advanced computing paper needs lots of research, knowledge, and expertise. However, submission of ACM paper according to official ACM Master Article template again needs updated knowledge about this new template. Well, don’t worry about fulfilling the standards of submission for your ACM article according to the new ACM reference format, we are here for you. Experts of our professional literature review writing service have wide experience in writing and editing the ACM article according to ACM Master Article template. We also assure 100% custom research while writing and formatting the ACM article by satisfying the standard ACM criteria.